It’s so cold outside and all I want to do is eat delicious comfort foods like pancakes! Other than white rice all other grains are restricted on the SIBO diet that I’m following, so flour is a no no. How am I going to get my pancake fix without flour?! Thanks to a quick search online I discovered a few grain-free pancake recipes that consist of eggs and bananas, whew there is hope!
After trying a few of the egg and banana only recipes, I felt like there was still something missing. It was fluffiness of regular pancakes. The egg and banana pancakes are dense and I love a fluffy pancake. All those holes make little homes for the maple syrup, am I right?!
Since I can have coconut, I tried adding coconut flour to the egg and banana and boom – delicious fluffy pancakes were born! I also added a little baking powder to lighted up the pancakes and some cinnamon because why not?
So, if pancakes are one of your favourite breakfast foods too these are a gluten-free and SIBO friendly version to satisfy your pancake cravings with a few simple ingredients and without the puffy super-full feeling you get from the regular kind.
Prep time 5 min
Cook time 10 min
Total time 15 min
- 2 eggs
- 2 very ripe medium bananas
- 1 1/2 tbsp of coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Mash the bananas in a bowl with a fork.
- Add eggs and whisk together, trying to remove as many large lumps as you can.
- Once the banana and egg are mixed add the coconut flour, baking powder and cinnamon, whisk together to form smooth batter.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium and grease with coconut oil.
- Scoop in batter, I like to use my 1/2 cup measuring cup but you can make whatever size pancakes you like best!
- Cook the batter until the surface of the pancakes has little bubbles and the edges start to lighten in colour and firm up. About 2 min but leave them longer to firm if needed, these can be a bit tricky to flip if not quite formed.
- With care flip the pancakes and cook the other side for about 2 min.
- Once pancakes are fully cooked transfer to a plate and serve with favourite toppings! I like blueberries and of course maple syrup but try some honey for a SIBO friendly version.